Saturday, June 30, 2007

Homecoming!

On Saturday, June 23rd mother and son came home from the hospital. Both of them very tired from the events that transpired just 2 days prior. Upon their arrival home they were greeted with open arms from family and friends. Our home was filled with the sounds of proud grandparents cooing and kissing their new grandchild, and recounting the births of their children. Stories were exchanged and life seemed very normal. As the day drew to a close and everyone left, my wife and I soon found ourselves alone with our son.

With all of the hustle and bustle of the last few days my wife and I realized that we had not spoken for a few days. As we began to talk about our son's delivery a rush of emotions began to pour out. We talked about how unbelievably hard it had been both mentally and physically, and how surreal the experience was in retrospect. I still cannot quite grasp everything that happened when our son came into this world. I can grasp just one thing...

IT WAS AWESOME!

In my life, I have started a list. It's not written down, and it isn't numbered in any order...so don't ask to see it. On the top of that list, was to see what child-birth was like. I prepped my weak stomach for 6 months by watching very detailed videos of child labor. I needed to see why fathers around the world held this natural human occurrence to such high regard.

Let me tell ya, I found out.

It is the most "eye opening" experience that I have ever encountered. I have a greater respect for my wife, my mother, my grandmother, my great-grandmother, my mother-in-law...pretty much any mother that is on the planet.

Mothers have a "mother-of-a-time" becoming a mother.

I will say this in closing "Be a part of this experience". You will never forget it. It felt like "storming the beaches of Normandy" (I'm not sure what that feels like, but I can imagine). I now have a common bond with 3 people I love very much...my wife, my mother (who got to be in the room with us), and my son.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

What a handsome devil! Congratulations Michelle and Tom. Michelle you are one hell of a woman - and you'll have to get back to me on the birthing classes discussion we had just prior to Sam's arrival - ha! Love you guys both and can't wait to see the little guy.